Rockley Park

Poole Town FC Logo

Match Report - Bognor Regis Town - Home

Poole Town FC
Cooper, Lee

Bognor Regis Town
Heath, Muitt

Kick Off :
Tuesday August 8, 2017 19:45
Competition :
National League South
Attendance :
Match Sponsor :
Rockley Park
Game Mascot :
Amy Bayes
Poole Players :
Hutchings, Moore, Dickson, Spetch, Whisken, Smeeton, Burbidge, Devlin, Lee (Oxlade-Chamberlian 65), Cooper, Baggie (Bedford 75). Subs not used: Rees, Neale, Balmer

Poole faced newly promoted Bognor Regis in what proved to be an entertaining game with some first class goals.

Bognor looked the more dangerous from the start.  Throughout the game they were dangerous down the right wing with Muitt showing good pace.  He delivered a dangerous cross early on which was well defended by Smeeton.  Bognor had a series of corners from which they looked threatening.  An early one of these delivered by Pearce saw Heath rise strongly and bullet head in to the corner on 9 minutes.  In a similar move Heath again lost his marker but headed wide.  Poole found their way back in to the game on 24 minutes when Cooper picked up the ball centrally, beat a defender and hit a shot from the edge of the box right in to the corner – a fantastic goal – not what you would expect from someone normally playing central defence.  This gave an impetus to Poole who looked more threatening.  On 34 minutes Lee played a beautiful through ball to Burbidge who cut back passed the defender but his shot was saved by Lincoln.  A great chance which Poole would come to rue.  Bognor came close again when the cleared ball fell to Tuck whose long range volley was tipped over by the retreating Hutchings.

Poole made the best start possible to the second half when Tony Lee scored in only 17 seconds – Devlin passed to Lee who struck a wonderful ball from 40 yards out which dipped beyond the retreating Lincoln.  This gave Poole the impetus and they looked a much better side than in the first half.  The football was end to end for a while with both sides seeing shots cleared off the line.  Beck had a great chance for Bognor after some pressure but dragged his shot wide.  Bognor continued to look dangerous down the right wing and this is where the equaliser came from with Muitt’s surging run and screaming shot producing the equaliser out of nowhere on 84 minutes.  Bognor sensed victory and pushed for the winner but Poole held on.

Probably a fair result – Bognor were a strong team that on this performance should be in the play offs at the end of the season.  Poole may have squandered a great chance but Bognor created several good chances and showed great pace from both Pearce and Muitt.  Some contenders for goal of the season already – watch the video – especially Tony Lee’s second half opener.

Match report by Peter Leppington

Supported By :